Posted by: Anxious | 2012-03-29

Menstrual cycle and trying to conceive

I went off the pill in July 2010. Towards the end of 2010 I missed my period for 3 months (and was not pregnant). Visited my gynae and discovered that I had hypothyroidism. Between Jan 2011 and Dec 2011 my endocrinologist struggled to get the right dose of eltroxin for me as my levels kept changing. Towards the end of 2011 my levels/dosage stabilised and I was given the all clear to try to conceive. During this time (Jan 2011-Dec 2011) my menstrual cycle has been about 34 days. However over the last two months it has been 40 days. Should I be concerned or wait to see what happends in the months to come. I am just very frustrated as it seems that one thing after the other keeps going wrong with my health that is making falling pregnant very difficult.

There is no reason why you can't start trying to fall pregnant.A 40 day cycle is rather long and, if it persists after 3 or 4 months, you should probably have an ovulation check.