Question
Posted by: Avril | 2011/08/17

Menstrual cycle

I am 45 taking no medication at all. I have anemia. Hormone levels have been checked - not menopause. Second day of menstrual cycle is extremely heavy and uncontrollable. Is there long term medication that can help?

Avril

If you are experiencing a regular menstrual cycle, with heavy flow that is effecting your quality of life, you can consult your doctor for a prescription for an oral contraceptive. Your doctor should also test for diabetes, as well as thyroid abnormalities, which can also cause abnormal bleeding. Ask your doctor to test the severity of your anemia and if it should be treated with iron supplementation.