Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-02-19

Menstrual Cycle

I am 27 years old and have two kids aged 5 and 1. I am using Ginette and have been for about 7/8 years.
I have a few problems:
1. Before and during my period, I suffer from SEVERE headaches, so much so that it wakes me up in the middle of the night. Seven days a month of headache is getting a bit much for me now. I just want to feel very sorry for myself and curl up in a ball until my period is over!
2. Normally, after having children, your period pain should be less - in my case, this doesn' t seem to be the case. I endure a lot of (back) pain during this time
3. This is what worries me the most and I know it must sound nuts, but I get hot flushes! I am extremely hot (and I perspire) all the time. I wake up soaking wet in the middle of the night (even though I sleep with a fan blowing right on me!). I really struggle with this one. It' s obviously very annoying, and uncomfortable, to say the least

What on earth is happening to me?

I suggest that you consult a gynaecologist for a papsmear and a lower abdominal ultrasound. In the interim, you can use Naproxen, two tablets, three to four times per day. This is very effective to treat the pain associated with menstruation. It is available over the counter.

Headaches and night sweats are associated with water retention (which is normal during menstruation) and the fluctuation in hormone levels. During menstruation, you can also use a light diuretic, like Lasix tablets, 20mg once daily in the morning, for a period of 5 to 7 days.