Question
Posted by: ELA | 2012/08/06

Menstrual Cups

Hi.

My friend told me about a menstrual cup the other day... I have never heard of them.

I have done some research and they seem amazing and I am looking into getting one myself.

The environmental impact of pads, tampons and applicators alone is phenomenal - one statistic I read said ''Within the next 50 years, over 90,000,000,000 (90 thousand million) tampons/pads will be disposed of in South Africa alone  another one said ''During the 2010 International Coastal Cleanup, 24607 tampons and applicators were found on the worlds beaches.

What I dont understand is why they aren''t more known and advertised in SA?

It looks like they can even benefit gynae''s in assisting women with possible problems - why don''t gynae''s recommend them to women?

As far as I know they are not available in SA. They are more invasive than tampons, as they have to be put into the vagina and up around the cervix. Many women do not like this idea.

3
Posted by: Colette | 2012/10/12

Your " Expert"  hasn''t got the remotest clue what he/she is talking about!! There are two brands of menstrual cups manufactured right here in South Africa. One is at mpowercup [dot] co [dot] za and another is at miacup [dot] co [dot] za .

Also, it is not remotely invasive, it does NOT go high up around the cervix, it sits low in the vagina, much lower than a tampon.

I suggest your " Expert"  researches his/her answer and deletes/corrects the grossly misleading/insufficient/blatantly uninformed/unresearched reply above.

Reply to Colette
Posted by: Eong | 2012/08/19

You have quite a few options to cohsoe from. I am not sure if you have to use each one observation, opinions, etc. or just cohsoe one?? It would seem to me that using a combination would be most effective, but if you have to cohsoe one and it is a persuasive essay you want to cohsoe the one that is most likely to win the argument I think that would be one with facts and stats.However, I would probably prefer to start with some informed opinions such as Dr. ??? states that . and go from there. That often seems to be a more friendly way to start. Obviously you will need to find data to back up the opinions. Provide data to show how various changes in lifestyle have improved health of individuals exercise, stopping smoking. less alcohol, losing weight, changing risky behavior (promiscuity, taking drugs), nutritious diet, taking appropriate medication (to lower cholesterol, thyroid meds, insulin, etc.). You could probably pick a few of these and devote a paragraph to each.I hope these thoughts are of some help.

Reply to Eong