Question
Posted by: Engela Jordaan | 2012/04/10

Menopause and weight loss

I have hit menopause and I am putting on weight. I now need to lose around 7kg and I am struggling like crazy. I eat my Kellogs Special K every morning, have a healthy small cous cous salad mid moring, tuna salad for lunch, a fruit for mid-day. I never eat after 6 at night, drink at least 8 glasses of water and about 4 cups of green tea. I don''t eat any bread, potatoes or pasta, have never had a sweet tooth and have 2 whisky''s at night. I walk approximately 4.5km most evenings. Please could you tell me what else I could be doing to bring down my weight.

Dear Engela
It is unfortunate that some women tend to gain weight when they enter the menopause, while others tend to lose weight. If you have the tendency to weight gain, then I can only suggest that you discuss this problem with your gynaecologist because in some cases, hormone replacement therapy may be indicated, but this is a decision you and your gynae will have to make together. Also try reducing your alcohol intake by half so that you either only drink one whisky per evening or if you have two only have them 3 times a week. A slight increase in the intensity of your exercise may also be beneficial.
I do hope that you can reverse your weight gain.

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/03

I can relate to this and it is disgusting, I have been to 3 different doctors and a gynaecologist within the spate of 4 years. I hardly eat, started 4 years ago because I just lost interest in life and still today cannot accept this weight gain, it is debilitating and frustrating and I cannot even exercise because of the bloated state of my stomach. I just wish that there was one doctor that would take an interest and realise how negatively this is affecting my whole life.

Dear Engela