Question
Posted by: Naomi | 2010/02/22

menopause and weight loss

In 2005 I lost 19.5kg with Weigh Less in 4 months. In 2008 I had a hysterectomy and gain 6 kg. I can not get rid of that weight. I tried Weigh less with no sucsess. I tried Dr Atkinsins and lost 3 kg in 2 months but as soon as I eat fruit I put on the weight immediately.

Dear Naomi
The hormonal changes associated with the menopause and hysterectomies can cause weight gain. You don't mention if you are taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT)or not? In some women HRT prevents weight gain while in others it exacerbates weight gain. It may be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assess what you are eating at present and work out an individual diet prescription for you. She will also be able to judge if other factors such as insulin resistance may be playing a role.

1

Dear Naomi