Question
Posted by: The hot flush lady | 2008-11-10

menopause and exercise training

Hi Doc, does woman' s hormones at certain times affect your training ability. eg I am 50 and going through menopause and find that I am not able to do cardio at the level I was doing, and generate heat/hot flush when attempting cardio. I am a regular at the gym and love exercise. Any comment or research done on women and training or effect on the body' s ability during monthly menstrual cycle and or later whilst in peri menopause? Thanks, the hot flush lady

It does, mainly because of the perceptual changes that it causes and that you're experiencing. The body temperature varies also during the course of the menstrual cycle, and that can affect exercise as well.

The research that has been done has never really aimed to overcome this problem, because it's recognized as part of the normal physiological process, which you don't wish to interfere with, of course. What that research has shown is that regular exercise is very beneficial for health, particularly after menopause, because of the changes in systems like bone. It also reduces the chances of disease later in life, improves health etc. and that's all very beneficial for you. So the exercise is good. All I can suggest is that you find practical methods to reduce the impact of the hot flush on your training. That might be something you discuss with a doctor, but the selection of your clothing is an important part, and if you're at the gym, using a fan is obviously crucial.