Question
Posted by: Bernie | 2010/12/17

MENOPAUSE &  HAIR GROWTHS

Dear Doc, I went into early menopause (according to my gynae). I stopped menstruating approximately 8 years ago (I am 48 years old). I recently had a series of blood tests, including one to confirm menopause, which it did. Of late, a few months now, I noticed that I have a few strands long hairs growing around my nipples. Then I noticed that I have hair growing on my fingers, and now, the last straw, there was a hair growing out of the top of my lip!!!!! Besides having some hot flushes from time to time and not having a period, I have no other signs of menopause. I have put this abnormal hair growths down to hormonal imbalance or something like that linked to the menopause. I have never in 48 years even ever had to wax my legs and now I have hairs on my chest, my hands and my face - I know I sound hysterical about nothing - but really, it distresses me. Is there a chance that this hair growths will increase? Is there anything I can do to make it stop? is it indicative on anything sinister - should I be doing something about it (other than remove the hair of course!). Thank you, B

It is common for women after menopause to have increased hair growth. This is due to hormonal changes.

1