Question
Posted by: Petro Emmett | 2012/02/05

Menopause

I am 46 going on 47 . I have been on contraceptions since the birth of my son(24 years ago), untill the age of 35. Due to my smoking habit, i went off the pill (no other contraception method)and have had healthy normal periods (although painfull and heavy some months) My husband and i uses condoms (mostly) during intercourse.
My last normal period was in December 2011(9th-16th). My next period was then only in January 2012 (20th - 27th) I have been spotting on and off or just discharge untill date (5/02/2012). This is the first time that i am so " irregular" . My period was also very light and not as painful as normal. I have also sometimes (since my teens) suffered what I now know as " hypo-glacemia"  episodes where I start shaking, perspiring and after " schoffing"  any food or sugar drinks, I have to lie down due to feeling exhuasted. However, this usually only happened maybe once every 3 months. Lately, this has been happening more frequently and last week up to 3 times (especially in hot/humid conditions).
On chatting to some of my friends about this, some of them is of the opinion that I could be at the onset of menopause. Is this possible? How would I know and what are the symtoms as I do not feel different. I do not have a medical aid, but would it be better to go for a check-up to test ostrogen levels? Thank you

You are certainly at the age where you will become menopausal soon. Irregular periods at this age need to be assessed as there are other causes, including growths in the cervix and uterus. I would suggest that you see a gynaecologist.

1