Question
Posted by: Marie | 2010/08/17

Menopause

It is destroying my life. I am in a perpetually angry and irritable mood. Not depressed.
What is the clinical definition of irritability and what causes it precisely? Which hormone is it? I am on HRT. I hate myself to be honest and everyone is complaining about my irritability. Doctor recommends Cipralex. Others recommend this and that natural remedy. None of them seem to work from what I hear. What is it about menopause that makes us women so highly irritable and really, what can I do about it?
Irritable

There's really no clear clinical definition of irritability. If things irritate and annoy you unreasonably, and to an extent that it causes problems for you and others - you're irritable.
Irritability is a major feature in some women's experience of menopause - others are tormented by hot flushes and don't mention irritability.
The changes in one's normal routine hormone levels seem to be very relevant.
I know of NO good evidence that Cipralex ( unaccountably popular with some doctors who listen too closely to drug reps ) is especially useful in menopausal irritability, and see no special reason why it would be. If it is useful in some people, so, also and instead, would be any of several similar SSRI antidepresants, mostly considerably cheaper.
Have you found the HRt made any useful difference for you ? If not, it might not be worth continuing. If it did help, which symptoms did it help ( apparently not the irritability ? )

1