Question
Posted by: sue | 2010-02-19

Menopause?

Hi Doc,

I''m 39 (40 in two months). For the last few weeks, I''ve had the most appaling night sweats, dizziness, light headedness etc. I went to my GP, and she diagnosed a kidney infection after doing a urine test. I felt better after a week of strong antibiotics, but the night sweats have continued. Last Saturday morning I felt so bad that I went back to my gp (I was having day sweats every hour or so as well by then) and she diagnosed a sinus infection. 5 days of antibiotics, but still the night sweats!
I''ve done a blood test for menopause, still waiting for the results. I''m under a huge amount of stress financially at the moment (single mom), and some days I feel nearly suicidal. Is this peri-menopause? I feel like I''m losing my mind!

Thank you for your help.

Sue

Your symptoms can be due to hormonal changes. Therefore, I suggest that you ask your doctor to do a full hormonal profile. If you are menopausal, your doctor can prescribe hormonal replacement therapy, which can alleviate your symptoms.

I do suggest that your doctor run other tests, i.e. thyroid levels etc, to rule out any pathology. A chest x-ray will also be a good idea, in order to exclude tuberculosis. Ask your doctor for a good anti-depressant, i.e. Cipramil to assist you in these difficult times.