Question
Posted by: curious | 2009/11/15

menopause

In the Health24 article about depression linked with menopuse the author refers to hot flashes - surely this is incorrect. Are they not known as hot flushes? Although I have heard Afrikaans people talk of flashes - I thought that they were simply mistakenly confused about the language - but if a Health24 expert uses the term flash instead of flush - maybe I am mistaken?

In Afrikaans, it is known as "warm gloede". "Warm" meaning hot and "gloede" meaning increased temperature, as well as blood flow with associated sweating of the face and body.

I do think that the author made a typo when writing flashes and instead wanting to express flushes.