Question
Posted by: belinda | 2008/08/01

Meningitus

My daughter had menigitus last year. She was first treated for flu.
the result is total amnesia from birth until after illness, short term memory problems, severe moodswings, no balance.
She is on 10mg aropax per day. Is there anything I can do to better her life standard, she is starting to realise that she is different from her peers and it frustrates her. Through extremely hard work, she stayed in her old school. She is now fourteen years old. I am desperate as every time she gets sick I worry that it can be a relapse. Any advise would be great.
Thanx and regards
Belinda

This isn't really a psychiatric question, and sounds like a neurological problem. Complete and total retrograde amnesia sounds strange, and the combination of symptoms you describe seems unusual. It sounds as though she needs a thorough assessment by a specialist Neurologist AND a specialist Psychiatrist, and only on the basis of such findings could one sensibly plan treatment and management. And the doc who treated her, presumably having idenftified what variety of meningitis this was, can advise, too, especially on the issue of possible recurrences, which may, fortunately, be unlikely

1
Posted by: belinda | 2008/08/01

Thank you so much for the reply

Reply to belinda