Posted by: Gerty | 2012-04-17

meningitis in dogs.

Staffie 7yrs old. Suddenly took ill. 1st signs walking crab like.
Left side of body effected. falling to left. sometimes circling left around. Left hind leg problem as well as left eye end left part of mouth. Struggle to chew on left side, mouth droopy on left side. when exited move very fast without problem otherwise unstable.slowly responding to cortisone treatment. At onset of problem, neck on left side where stiff for a while and sometimes disorientated.
Does this mean meningitis of some sort and is it curable?
Many thanks.

Hi Gerty

Meningitis as you know is inflammation of the of tissues surrounding the brain and spinal cord. The trigger can be anything from bacteria, viruses to fungus etc. Cortisone will assist in the treatment of this condition with the addition of other pharmaceuticals to treat the causative agent(s). Because the clinician uses cortisone does not he/she diagnosed meningitis. The are other conditions such as vestibular disease that can present with a similar clinical picture. Please ask you vet to clarify what they think may have cased the development of the clinical sign's you have observed.

I do hope your Staffie makes a full recovery.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Posted by: Ries | 2012-05-29

Once I initially comnemted I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any approach you possibly can take away me from that service? Thanks!

Reply to Ries