Posted by: Naomi | 2009-03-24

How do they check if a child has meningitis? My 5 year old son has been complaining about a headache since the weekend but no othere sighs as yet. Do they do a blood test, should I take him for a check up.

Dear Naomi
Signs of meningitis: See
If he is feverish, can't put his chin on his chest, is vomiting, is listless and/or have a rash take him to the doctor IMMEDIATELY. Check if he has had a meningitis vaccine - these days they usually give one.

Posted by: hawza.j | 2009-03-26

i once suffered from the disesase and it went undiagnosed until my parents took my to my relative' s private doctor...The doctor who had treated me at the hospital was a young looking indian lady, she said it was probably a back injury..i' m glad to be one of the survivers

Reply to hawza.j
Posted by: Lou | 2009-03-24

The general symptoms are a high fever, headache, stiff neck and a rash - sometime also stomach pain and vomiting. Check your childs neck - see if he can look up and then down (putting his chin on his chest). They check for meningitis by doing a lumbar puncture - not pleasant if not necesarry. Your gp will know what to look for,so take your son just to be sure - either way, a 5 year old with a headache lasting that long needs to be checked out.

Reply to Lou