Posted by: Franel Aldrich | 2010-05-04

Meniers disease

I an a 55 year old woman and suffers from MD, I already received all available but the brain operation. I still get frequent attacks. What else can I do ? Please help it causes me to isolate me completely from all life around me!!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Franel

If correctly diagnosed, Meniere's Disease consists of:
1. Progressive hearing loss
2. Severe bouts of dizzyness
3. Nausea and vomiting

As you will know, not many of the treatments have any effect, but should at least be attempted. Certain medications on a chronic basis may be of value. If all else fails, you should seek the opinion of an otologist
(ENT surgeon with extensive ear expertise). It is possible to benefit greatly from Gentamycin injectoins into the middle ear cavity to controll the condition. You should ask your ENT if they do this, otherwise seek an opinion from an otologist. If all fails, surgery may be your last hope.