Question
Posted by: Riette Basson | 2009/10/02

Menierre' s Illness

Since April I had about 6 episodes of extreme vertigo and ended up 3 times in the ER. The whole world spinned and I started throwing up. Up to now I have been to 3 different ENT' s and had various tests done (MRI, hearing, balance, vein scan, etc). I also had a sinus operation to clear a blocked sinus. The last ENT told me that he thinks that I have the onset of Menierre' s illness. I do not hear any loud sounds in my ear - only a thumping sound in my right ear at night, but he thinks this is unrelated and is due to veins running close to my ear. He prescribed cortizone and anti-viral medicine (very expensive tablets). The cortizone really helped for the last 2 times that I started to get an attack. The dizzy-feeling went away and I also didn' t have that fuzzy feelings days afterwards. I am just concerned of the possible side effects of using cortizone all the time (I had no side effects, yet). The last 2 attacks were 2 weeks apart. Any help or information will help me a lot. Is there anything else apart from medicine that will help me to get less of these attacks?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Riette

The use of cortisone under strict conditions is usually not problematic if you have no other contra indications to use it. If this is indeed Meniere's disease, medication will only help the symptoms but cannot cure the disease. The use of the cortisone and anti-viral combination is regarded as the best management, as these attacks will unfortunately recurr. You can try and find information under the heading : polyganglionitis episodica (PGE).

1
Posted by: ENT Expert | 2009/10/14

Dear Riette

Reply to ENT Expert