Question
Posted by: CLAIRE | 2011/07/21

Menapause

Last week I asked the pharmacist for medication that would assist me with my hot flushes which were irritating me. He gave me a pack of yellow capsules and he said that I would see results in about a month. Was that the right thing to do?. Also when do I have to use ''hormone replacement'' as I hear people say they are taking hormone replacement - what is it there for. My periods stopped about +-5years ago - I ''m now 48. I''m also worried about my " lost interest in sex"  with my husband. I also noticed that the hair under my arms no longer grows and I don''t have to shave.

Dear Claire
If you no longer menstruate, no longer have female pattern hair growth under your arms, and are developing hot flushes, then it is very possible that you are experiencing the menopause. It is important to have this confirmed by your gynae or gp, so please do go for a medical checkup ASAP. The doctor will determine if you are in the menopause and also discuss the various options with you. In general, women who wish to alleviate the symptoms of menopause may take female hormones or hormone replacement therapy (HRT) if your doctor give you the go-ahead. HRT, like all medication, esp hormonal treatments, is associated with some risks and if you should be a patient with additional risk factors (such as an increased incidence of breast or uterine cancer), the dr may advise that you don't use HRT. Also discuss the various homeopathic treatments for menopausal symptoms with your dr. Take the capsules the pharmacist gave you along when you see the dr, so that he/she can decide if this is the correct treatment in your case.

3
Posted by: Mary Watson | 2011/07/25

I have been going through menopause for a few years now. I cannot take HRT as my mother had breast cancer and I was adviced by her specilaist not to. My problem is the nightly hot flashes - I cannot remember when last I had a good nights sleep. I have the blankets on and then off all night long - this result in me getting bronchitis during the winter months. I would like to know if it would be safe for me to visit a homeopath.

Reply to Mary Watson
Posted by: Elsabe Bergh | 2011/07/22

I am 54 and in menopause with 44 of the 43 symptoms! About 1 month ago my hair started falling out in bundles. I subsequently shaved my head, doc put me on Estrofem and reduced Eltroxin dose. After approx 3 days my symptoms started going away and I really felt good. I am wearing a wig and my hair has started growing in places, but is now see through gray. What do you recommend diet wise for me to improve the hair growth?

Thank you for your assistance

Reply to Elsabe Bergh

Dear Claire