Question
Posted by: Sanet | 2012-09-21

Memory problems after mixed episode

Hi, I posted about my admission to hospital for a mixed episode a while back.mn Before being admitted I had a very good memory. I could remember the exact dates for site visits for the past year and which report needs to be submitted and who needs follow up letters. Now I''m like someone with Dementia. During the mixed episode fro Jan to Jun I am quite sure that my memory was also good. I became much worse and was admitted. Suddently when I returned to work after the admission and 4 weeks sick leave I just can''t get on top of things. I have really been overloaded and doignat least 2 people''s work. My memory is so bad, that I cannot remember to whom I sent letters and what is still needed to be filed and sent to the sites. I read reports that I wrote 1-2 months ago and cannot remember why I made that statement in my reports. I forget the directions to site, I need my GPS now. I forget important tasks for my manager. And I overlooked a serious issue with my clients. I noticed the issue on my first visit and reported it to my manager. I had another 3 visits to site when I realised at the last visit that there are huge problems. I am known for my attention to detail and being organised. At the moment I''n scared that I will loose my reputation if things carry one like this. I just cant get on top of things. I actually put in leave today, not to rest but to catch up on work. everything is unorganized in my life. If someone finds out I will be in big trouble. I had the same problem after and admission in 2007, and it got better when I was diagnosed with ADHD and started on Concerta. It changed my life. I''m on a lower dose now, because the 54mg was giving me side effects. Is it the reduction in Concerta, or have you found that people struggle with memory after Depression or a Bipolar episode? I heard the last thing that comes back after depression is your memory. Is that true?
Is there any supplement that I can take to improve my memory. I also struggle to concentrate in the office, I work more effectively at home. That is why I put in leave and will take one day off and just catch up on my sleep and then work again tomorrow until Monday. I don''t know what to do to get my memory back. At the moment I just make lists and reminders.

OK, in the first place, one tries to cope with memory problems by keeping more records and notes and lists. So long as one doesn't forget where one's lists are !
Its possible that some meds cause drowsiness and one pays less close attention to details, which would then be harder to remember. The Concerta, beign stimulant, may have improved your wakefulness and attention.
Generally, I haven't seen people complaining of memory problems after a depressive or mixed episode as such. ECT can for a while reduce short-term memory, but the antidepressants are not known for doing this.
Maybe discuss this with your shrink, to consider how any differences in your mix of meds might help this

2
Posted by: Maria | 2012-09-21

Sanet I experienced this while on Seroquel. Somewhere on the net I came across the phrase " the Seroquel stupids"  which is a very accurate description of the way I felt! So maybe your problem is a med side effect rather than a result of your episode?

Reply to Maria