Posted by: Just Me | 2009-02-24

Memory loss/absentmindedness

Hi, Doc

i am 31 years old female and seem to be struggling with short term memory loss, i easily forget things, even words. i am known to be a person with good communication skills but of lately i seem to forget words easily and end up making a sentence with a replacement words that are not necessarily suitable to the message i am trying to relay, i am also absent mindedness, i will listen to someone and not remember some of the things they told me or even their names. sometimes i leave work and get home only to get shocked of how i got home (driving). this is really bothering me as i don' t want to cause an accident. I am also tired most of the time.

In order to see a specialist i need to have reference from my doctor, only then can the medical aid pay. i am worried as my doctor might tell me i am stressed (as said before). Do you think there is a need to see a specialist or Neurologist, i think i will feel more at peace to have a brain scan.

What do you think is the problem and how do i go about having this addressed

Please your help is appreciated

Dear Just me
Ask your doctor to refer you for a neurological examination - they will so some tests and if he finds any symptoms that could be a sign that there is something wrong with your brain, they will send you for a brain scan. Because it is so expensive to do, he won't send you for one without an examination and memory test as the medical aid won't approve it.