Question
Posted by: Jane Doe | 2011/08/31

Memory Loss

Hi Doc,

I don''t know if you''re the right person to ask, but I have a bit of a memory problem.

I forget things I did just about a week ago. I will suddenly recall a conversation I had, but no memory of who it was, where we were or when exactly it was. I''m 25.

I even forget things that I needed to do at work, which is a huge problem.

Any reason for this and how I can improve it - memoery exercises maybe?

Thanks!

Its odd to have significant memory problems at 25, for any reason. Sometimes its an issue of expecting more of one's memory than most of us can manage. Some of what you describe sounds pretty normal, actually. And can be handled, for instance, by making better notes at work, and To Do lists, and reminders.
Quite often the problem is less that one is losing something that had been stored in one's memory, but of not paying enough of the right sort of attention at the time, so the item never got properly entered in memory, so is unavailable for retrieval.
If you're generally reasonably healthy, eating a good diet, exercising normally, and not taking more than minimum alcohol ( which can mess up storing and retrieving memories ) and not using street / recreational drugs ( ditto ), then there's probably not a major problem.
Of course there might be other aspects o this issue which I've forgotten ....

1