Question
Posted by: LdK | 2010/01/13

Memory loss

I am a 33 yr old female in a demanding job. Also have 2 children aged 5 and 6. For the past 2 years I have become very forgetful. I forget instructions that were given 5 min ago - if interrupted before executing the instruction. Also, have to set reminders on PC and cell phone for nearly everything. I even seem to forget things that I am supposed to do everyday - like take medication. I have been to my GP as I thought it could be elzeimhers disease (as members of my family have had it). He suggests thought that I see a shrink and doubts that I could have the disease so young. What do you think?

Thwere are so many different possible reasons for having memory problems. One is that one is stressed and not concentrating well, so not really getting the instruction ( or whatever ) clear enough to remember in the first place.
A family history of Alzheimers might slightly increase one's risk of developing the condition, but not at this age. Seeing a shrink for a proper comprehensive4 assesment is a good idea, and the psychiatrist may well find a very treatable cause for this situation that is now worrying you.

1