Question
Posted by: Tanya | 2011-07-04

Membrane Rupture

Please can you offer me some advise or your opinion on the matter. I had to have to emergency c sections. With my first child, my waters broke but no dilation had taken place and the baby had not engaged. I was induced and after 13 hours the baby went in foetal distress and I was still not dilated. With my second, a vbac attempt, my water broke again at 39 weeks. Went to the hospital and there was only 1cm dilation, no contractions, baby not engaged and cervix still high and hard. My doctor decided to do a c section as I could not have any form of induction and labour did not look imminent. Please tell me what could possible be wrong with my body. In every birth book I read, the waters break during active labour. Could something be wrong that my cervix does not ripen and dilate? I am very disappointed as I really hoped for a natural birth and I feel like a failure as I did not even get a chance to experience birth. I am just trying to understand what happened.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with your body. Many women break their waters before contractions start. These start within 24 hours in most cases. In your case, the induction failed. Once you have had one caesarean, the chances of having another are about 50% as one has to err on the safe side because of the risks involved.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-07-08

Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-07-08