Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2008/09/16

Members fall asleep

Dear Doctor,
My upper and lower members fall asleep very often. I' ve always worn a watch, but now even the watch (I use this one for years) causes my hand and arm to fall asleep. The problem is very recent (I' ve been experiencing this for a few days or weeks). The weather is okay, so this is not because I' m cold or anything. I' m 23 years old and I have poor circulation (however, this never caused any similar problems in the past). What could this be?

Dear Patricia
This could be an indication of peripheral neuropathy, a disease caused by high blood sugar or certain deficiencies. Neuropathy causes the sensation nerves not to work properly. Please go to your doctor so that he can do tests to see whether you need referral to a specialist?