Posted by: ANON | 2009-10-01

Dear Doc,

I' m following the healthy eating portion plan diet. I would like to know if I can eat melrose low fat spread on my toast and if so, how much can I eat and is it a protein?

Thank you for your time. Keep well.

Dear Melrose
I am not sure what the energy and fat contents of Melrose low-fat spread are, because the SA Food Tables only list cheese spread with a normal fat content (i.e. 21.2g per 100g), which has an energy content of 1216 kJ per 100 g. Seeing that it would be usual to spread about 2 teaspoons (10g) of such a spread on bread, the standard spread would contain 122 kJ and 2.1 g of fat per serving, which is not excessive. Check on the label of the low-fat spread to see if it is much lower in energy and fat. If you eat the low-fat spread in moderation then it should not affect your diet. With such a high fat content, one would practically classify the standard cheese spread as a fat, but it does contain 16.4 g of protein/100g, so it's a mixture of fat and protein. Once again check the label of the low-fat product to see if it contains more protein and if so, then one can classify it as a protein source.