Posted by: dw | 2009-09-21

Hi Doc. Im very worried. My brother went to the dermatologist on Friday and the dr said he had melonoma. They have sent it in and he will get the results tomorrow. If they know it is cancer, why send it in? The dr said he might have to come back and have a gland taken from his armpit. This is obviously to see if it has spread. What are the chances? The dr said he waited too long.... Dr, I cant lose my brother!!

Dear Dw
One can diagnose melanoma by the look of the mole but you have to confirm it by histology as it is a serious and dangerous skin cancer. One also needs to determine how deep in the skin it infiltrated and what the depth of the melanoma itself is, as this determines the best treatment method for the skin cancer. You are right, the gland they remove is to determine whether it has spread. Early melanoma is 100% treatable and if the melanoma is cut out deep enough and there is no spreading, the chances is that it was caught early enough. Let me know what the results was?