Question
Posted by: Very Confused | 2010/03/02

Melodene, Antibiotics and possible pregnancy

Hi doc,

Please can you clear my confusion?

I am using Melodene (+- 7 months now). (Had a baby 8 moths ago) I have had regular periods on it since now.

I was on antibiotics from 19 to 24 feb (for upper airway infection) and had my period just before, ending around 18/19 feb (cant remember 100%). My husband and i had a very sexual week while i was on the antibiotics and i completely did not even think about the effects on the melodene.

I started having very light spotting yesterday but turned to very light bleeding today (i have to use a thin small pantyliner) and alot of cramps this morning

I did a HPT this morning which was negative as i think it could be way to soon.

My question is if i could be pregnant as i need to stop taking the melodene if I am as i wouldnt want anything to happen to the pregnancy if there is any or could this be a miscarriage or even just a period as all hormones might be a mess now from the antibiotics.

Thanks for the response in advance

The bleeding is probably due to the antibiotics affecting the hormone levels. It is too soon to test for pregnancy but you are at risk for this. You can continue the Melodene and do a pregnancy test if you do not have a period when you reach the placebo pills. Remember to use extra precautions for another week.

1