Question
Posted by: Mapstix | 2008/10/09

Melatonin - Toddlers

Good evening …  do you have any info on Melatonin given to toddlers. I’ ve search the web and spoken to the pharmacist and the overwhelming feeling and opinion of every one is not to give it to a toddler unless prescribed by a paediatrician.

The problem is that my brother and sister in law are giving this homeopathic medicine to their 3 year old (for many months now) –  their pharmacist recommended it because their daughter had trouble sleeping at night. I’ ve since told them what I’ ve read and what other pharmacist said and they are still giving it to their child.

The studies show they have tested it on hyperactive children, children with brain problems, having seizers or blind children …  and have never been tested on normal children.

do you have more info on this …  I am really worried about the poor little girl and what effect this hormonal medication could have on her.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Mapstix

The reason why melatonin is more frequently tested in chlidren with neurodevelopmental or psychiatric co-morbidities, is because sleep disturbances are much more prevalent in these children.

Studies have shown that melatonin is probably safe to use in children, but more clinical experience is needed before a definite answer can be given.