Question
Posted by: Anon | 2011-04-26

Melatonin for SAD

Hi CS I suffer from the winter blues. Does melatonin really work.? I have taken it before, and maybe it''s just my frame of mind but I dont find real benefit from it. Is there anything else that will help me through this. Thank you in advance

Its not at all clear whether melatonin "really works" in winter blues / Seasonal Affective Disorder, though maybe you could google these terms and see what evidence might be out there. Also search for ( I don't know about the availability of the gadgets in SA ) Light Therapy, as there IS reasonable evidence that exposure to some types of bright light can relieve S.A.D. Meanwhile, when there is sunlight ( and its all about light, which affects our poduction of melatonin ) make sure you get out into the sunlight for some hours in the bright winter days

1