Question
Posted by: ronell | 2010/10/01

melasma

Hi expert,
I would like to find out what can i use for the removal of this . it has started on my nose and i am not pregnant.
pls help as it looks really ugly

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Ronell, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my answer.

Melasma is unfortunately a difficult pigment to treat and typically one should approach it as managing the condition rather than getting rid of it completely. Not all Melasma is associated with hormonal changes but as you are not pregnant one may need to look at other causes of hormonal changes (oral contraceptive, depo contraceptives, medical causes, etc.).

Your best option would be for the skin to be examined by a dermatologist who can verify the pigmentation as being Melasma and to look for possible aggravating factors.

The most important part of the ‘treatment’ of Melasma is a good SPF 50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide (applied several times daily) and to practice sun avoidance (hat, umbrella, etc) as much as possible.

I would add to the topical regime the following:
NeoStrata’s Foaming Glycolic Wash (twice daily), Ultra Smoothing Cream (at night), Pigment Lightening Gel (at night), Brightening Cream (day application), Renewal Cream (at night), and twice daily Lumixyl. Further improvement can be achieved with the NeoStrata glycolic acid peels with the clarifying booster pads.

Ultimately one will most probably need to add technology based treatments such as fractional skin resurfacing however I would only recommend this during the winter months.

2
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/10/12

Reply to anti-ageing expert

Reply to anti-ageing expert