Posted by: Maddie | 2009-08-16

melanoma in-situ

Had a flat mole removed from my ear lobe. I have had this mole for ever but lately I was uneasy about it and went to a dermatologist who removed it and had it histological evaluated. Result: superficial spreading melanoma in-situ. Can you explain what this " in-situ"  means? The results were:" degree of melanocytic atypia - moderate. Degree if pigmentation - moderate. regression - no. Host response - brisk. Mitoses per 10 HPF - < 1, Clark level - I. Can you pls tell me what it all means and is this totally curable? The diagnosis was made as follows: The features are consistent with an in-situ superficial spreading malignant melanoma. Hope to hear from you soon.

The malignancy (cancer) of your skin is confined to the upper layers of the skin and has not spread. This is a good sign for the malignancy can be excised completely. This is a stage 0 skin carcenoma and has a 99.9% survival rate. Ask the dermatologist to remove it as soon as possible.