Posted by: Andre | 2008-11-27

I' m going to Mozambique for 10 days and the doctor prescribed Melanil for malaria. What is the correct way to take it?
I told the doctor that i' m away for 10 days, and he prescribed 1 box (12 pills). He said to take one tablet a day, starting the day before i leave untill the box is finished. Which means that i only take it for 1 day after returning.

When i took the presrciption to the pharmacy, the lady said that it must be taken for at least 7 days after i return and i therefore don' t have enough pills and need another prescription.

Is this correct? How many pills do i need for 10 days in Mozambique?

Hi Andre
You do need to take it for 7 days after you return, so you will need extra pills. Just phone him and ask for another prescription. Please remember to also use Tabard, wear long sleeves and trousers after dark and don't use aftershave or something that will attract mozzies.

Posted by: tooks | 2008-11-27

Hi - I have taken Malanil plenty of times before. The pharmacist is correct. Its one tableta day before you leave and the each day while you are there. You then have to take them 7days after you are back so you dont have enough pills. According to my calcs you will need 18 pills? You will have to find out if this is the case - quite pricey.

Reply to tooks