Question
Posted by: Kate | 2012/04/17

Megan Is Missing

I read the review but I never expected to see what I saw, the review I read did not warn me of this and I think the age res.was 16, which I thought well it would be fine to watch(I’ m 24)

It was fine up until midway through, after Megan goes missing and they show 2pictures of a tortured Megan. I saw the first picture, and imm. closed my eyes, never saw the second and watched until Amy gets kidnapped and switched off.
I just felt sick to my tummy and cannot get this image out of my head!!! I totally did not expect something that graphic.

I could not sleep last night and I was afraid of the dark, I kept thinking about this poor girl.
This morning I googled searched the end and I just feel sick all over again, but I just needed to know if Amy survives and if that cyber perv. Got caught.

I kept thinking they had to have caught him, I’ m sure it’ s not that difficult to track someone through the net, esp. since the police have all the resources at their disposal but they do not say whether he was caught. Anyways it turns out they are fictional characters and the story is not true but is all taken from real life stories.
I just feel so sad, paranoid, sick and I hate myself for watching that movie.
How do I get it out of my head? I’ ve always been overprotective of my siblings, now I feel like never letting them out of the house! How do I get a freaking grip?

I guess you're speaking of a film you watched, presumably on TV ? Your reaction illustrates the point that the warnings given for viewers on films concentrate on ages in years, and the sensitivirty of the viewer often doesn't really match calendar years.
I'm surprised that it took you so long to realize that this was a fictional story. Even where they say they are based on real events, its not a documentary, and usually just suggested by something that may have happened.
Try discussing this with others, perhaps among your friends, who also saw the movie. Push yourself to get it in proportion - it WAS NOT REAL. Such things, and other nasty things do happen in real life, but not everywhere or all the time ; and look at what the victims of such crimes could and should have done to protect themselves. Maybe one needs to learn to be less naive and trusting over the internet, where anyone you contact might be anyone else, pretending.
Obsessing too much over this particular film, is like getting worried by other films and expecting soppy vampires or Transformer monsters to arrive in the garden. Stories in films and TV shows are often trash, cynically designed to grip you, so someone can make a profit out of that. But they offer us a chance to think realistically about actual, rather than ficional, risks.

3
Posted by: Kate | 2012/04/20

Thanks Hans! I think I have managed to get it out of my head a bit now. For the past few days it was constantly there but a bit less every day so thats a good thing.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Hans | 2012/04/18

i saw this movie too and and even though its definitely not for the feint-hearted, its a movie that had to be made and viewed....my hats off to the producers and everyone involved for giving us a glance into the brutal and harshness that could be just an internet connection away....Kate, the only way we can keep that kinda stuff from happening in reality is to educate those around us to be more techno-savvy, remember that there are online predators out there all the time but most are scared off by level-headed common sense...dont be scared

Reply to Hans