Question
Posted by: Goddess | 2010/04/29

Mefliam and Anxiety medication?

I was given Mefliam from a travel clinic for a holiday in Mozambique recently. After the 3rd pill I went straight to my GP as my heart rate was high and I felt anxious for no reason. She prescribed Alzym but was not very clear with how many I should take.. I stoped the Mefliam and have been taking 1 x .025MG pill on most days and twice I have taken 2 pills in one day in the last 2 weeks. I dont feel much different except for an extremely dry mouth and memory loss.. and I am still not getting more than 6 hours sleep. I went back to my GP and told the nurse that the pills were not working and she gave me a script for Urbanol.. I have not taken any yet and not sure what to do next...I see it is for extreme anxiety and epilisy. I believe i just have general anxiety and have to wait for the Mefliam gets out of my system..but I dont know how to cope in the meantime! I ahve also noticed that if i drink any alchol it makes the anxeity worse. Please can you advise?

Hmm. If I remember rightly, Mefliam is Mefloquine, a drug similar to quinine and used to treat or prevent infection with malaria. The package insert specifically says it should NOT be used in " Patients with depression or a past history of depression, generalized anxiety disorder, psychosis, including schizophrenia or other psychiatric disturbances." There is also a very specific WARNING : " Mefloquine may cause psychiatric symptoms in some patients, ranging from anxiety, paranoia and depression to more serious hallucinations and psychotic behaviour. In some instances, these symptoms have continued long after mefloquine was stopped, according to reports. " Forgetfulness is listed amongst its side-effects, as are palpitations, etc. So I would have been cautious about using Mefliam in your case. A Trabel Clinic may be convenient, but, knowing you less well than your GP, might not have ben as well able to assess whether this mdication was wise in your particular case.
The official advice seems to be when such symptoms appear, to stop the Mefliam, as you did, and to treat the symptom. Alzam and Irbanol are both benzodiazepine sedative tranquillizers, which can be used to treat anxiety symptoms.
Its worth avoiding alcohol until all of this was settled down.
If the anxiety symptopms and insomnia do not settle down soon, ask your GP about referring you to a specialist psychiatrist for re-assessment and a discussion of treatment options.

6
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/04/30

Dear Goddess

Please report this to the manufacturers of Mefliam - they should be taking it off the rack! please see my post: Mefliam/Lariam warning!

Reply to Racoon | 4 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/09/28

hi did your problems caused by mefliam stopped ? how long? mine is 24 day now after taking one and insomnia and anxiety thanks for any feedback.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/09/28

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/09/28

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/09/28