Question
Posted by: Bradley | 2011/11/08

Mefliam

I am going to Mozambique next week and got a prescribtion of mefliam for malaria.

I do not mind the side effect dizziness, nausea, pain ect, but I have to admit the psychiatric symptoms from anxiety, paranoia and depression are a big concern. Apart from I do not want to be in that state of mind but i do work in a very driven customer satisfaction industry I can not be like that. I am so scared to take these pills now and satting to think it may just be better to not take them. Also read online some seriously bad stories similar of these side effects.

I know its not a good idea to not have precautions but really worried. Is there an alternative to these pills without these affects, what is the chances if i do take them that this would happen to me and can i prevent these side affects?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Dear Bradley,

Does not sound like you were given the options from what to take.

Firstly Mozambique is an all year risk so have to take preventative measures.If your accomodation is 5 star with Mosquitoe nets and you are in Maputo you may get away with no tablets. DDT spraying has been very effective in reducing risk South of Maputo. However if you are in Beach accomodation or roughing it you will need tablets.

Mefliam is a nice cheap option convenient to take. However if there is any depression or anxiety problems then it should not be prescribed. I always advise patients to test drive buy bying one tablet and testing its effect. You need 2 doses a week apart before entering malaria area.to be effective so one has time to play with.

There are 2 other alternatives. Malanil at R47 RAND A TABLET TO BE TAKEN NIGHT BEFORE .DAILY AND 7 DAYS AFTER LEAVING AREA. sHORT TRAVEL THIS IS A GOOD ALTERNATIVE..

The option is doxycycline, antibiotic to be taken day before. daily amd then for 4 weeks after leaving area. Can make you sun sensitive and must be taken with full glass of water to prevent it causing heart burn if it gets stuck in your oesphagus.

However remember tabard lotion and cover up 2with long sleeves light weight long pants and socks at dusk and dawn. Mosquitoes are midnight feeders!Regards,
Pete

2
Posted by: stephen | 2011/11/20

Hi. I''m am using mefliam and currently working in ivory coast and trying to take all precautions possible not to get bitten even using insect repellents. But mosqiutos still got me. They are little terrors. My question is , if you get bitten or sting what ever the fact is , do that mean you will get malaria. Steve

Reply to stephen
Posted by: Travel expert | 2011/11/10

Dear Bradley,

Pete

Reply to Travel expert