Question
Posted by: Employee | 2012/05/11

Meeting

I have a meeting with Senior manager and a manager in this department in our company as i am planning to study the course related to the department.
I am oooo terrified.
I am shaking and think im gona have a runny tummy as soon as the time is near..Twice already i felt like calling in and telling them to cancell.They just set up a meeting with me.
BUt i just want to cry and not go.thats how fraid i am of talking to people especially on higher level.Even people i dont kow.Words just wont come out rite.Ive been talking to myself all morning trying to prepare my speach.but i stutter nad forget waht i wanted to say.I gues this explains why i am still in this department i dont realy love for the past 5years..Lord help me.Are there couses that i can take to boost my self confidence and talking n public or to anyone without running of the rite words to say.
PLease help..1hour to go.:(

Maria's is good advice here. The very worst that could happen would probably be the status quo, which is alright, and the most likely outcome is that you will make a good impression and get the course and better prospects at work.
Dale Carnegie courses have helped many people for many decades ; and CBT from a good psychologist also helps with social anxiety and self-confidence.
The "right" words aren't as important as they may seem to you right now - the advantage of a live interview is that you can correct or explain yourself further. And taking notes should be acceptable, too - and sometimes ha ving them, you can find you don't actually ened them, but feel more confident because they're there.

5
Posted by: Raebe | 2012/05/11

Romany......you have just put a smile on my face:-)

Reply to Raebe
Posted by: Romany | 2012/05/11

Whenever I have to talk in front of many people or do a presentation to management.
I start by looking at them.... one at a time... imagining them all naked......
It works for me.
And, it puts a smile on my face

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Maria | 2012/05/11

You know, managers are just people. They are not superhuman and they also started their careers as juniors.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2012/05/11

I can really recommend Dale Carnegie Course: Effective Communications &  Human Relations/Skills For Success.

Write down what you want to say and take the paper with you, that''s absolutely fine. Type up a neat document about why you want to study the course and what you think you can contribute to the department. Hand a copy to each manager when you get there. Take deep breaths. Close your eyes and visualise yourself being cool, calm and collected. Picture yourself talking to them with confidence. Good luck!

Reply to Maria