Question
Posted by: Tania | 2009/10/26

Meerkat and litter box

Dear dr.

We just got a small meerkat as a pet, he' s about 2-3 weeks old. We bought a cat litter box and filled it with absorbent gel crystals for the litterbox, but once he got into it, he started eating it. I think he probably ingested one pellet of about 1 square cm size, or just a bit smaller. I gave him some milk to drink, but what else should I do?? The crystals are the absorbent type that lasts for about a month, and you only remove the stools and replace it after a month only.

Please help!

Tania

Dear Tania

I suspect it will pass out the other end in a few days.

2
Posted by: jax | 2009/11/02

Tania,

- first of alll a meerkat of 2-3 weeks should never be removed from its family. It needs special formula, not milk, and is nowhere near ready for weaning either. Meerkats are wild animals, and do not use litter trays evene when domesticated - expect meerkat poo everywhere but in the neat little litter tray.
And last but not least, meerkats require a permit to be kept as they are indigenous animals. If you don' t have one, which you are very unlikely to receive anyway, expect a large fine and confiscation as soon as Nature Conservation find you. And believe me, they will...

Reply to jax
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/10/26

Dear Tania

Reply to Cybervet