Posted by: kaytee | 2008-11-10

Medullary Bone Infarction

My 57yr old mom (who lives in the UK) has recently been diagnosed with Medullary Bone Infarction and has been told there' s not much they can do for her. Please could you explain to me what this actually is and what the cause is and what treatment is available for her to beat this.

Many thanks

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Kaytee
A Bone infarct basically refers to the ischemic celldeath of bone and marrow and the term osteonecrosis is still accepted- it means that the bloodflow to a particular area of bone was cut off for some or other reason and there are various diseases and medications as well as alcohol that can cause this. I know too little about your mother to really make a suggestion and I suggest you find out exactly where the area is and maybe contact her doctor directly to find out more and also where the lesion is.