Posted by: amanda | 2012-10-31

medulla oblongata compression

hi Dr
i am 42 and have aptypical neuralgia face throat. i was recently diagnosed that there is compression on the medulla oblangata coming from the right vertibral artery. i really want to know what is the risks of this condition. some cites on the internet say that it can cause a stroke or tia attacks. i recently had an episode during having sex with my husband, excrutaing headache, like if there was lot of pressure and my neck went stiff, and shoulders. it lasted for 10 minutes and the headache lingered for days. i am not a person that suffers from migraine. should i bee concerned ? if yes what is the next step?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Amanda. I am not a neurologist, but I discussed your problem with a very good neurologist and he and I both agree: at the age of 42, compression of the medulla oblongata by the vertebral artery seems highly unlikely. Who made the diagnosis, and how was it made? Atypical neuralgia may arise from all sorts of other conditions, and compression of the medulla oblongata by a vertebral artery seems the least likely possible diagnosis.

Unless the diagnosis is certain, there is no point in speculating about the risks of the condition. My advice would be to get a second opinion from a good neurologist and if necessary a good general physician. It sounds as though you have multiple symptoms which cannot be due to one focal neurological abnormality. An MRI may certainly help if the doctors who you see think there is a good reason to do one. However, it may be possible to put your mind at rest without necessarily doing an MRI.

Best wishes, JT

Posted by: amanda | 2012-11-12

thx for the reply, here is a few answers. a mri was taken and the first neurologist did not seem to find anything wrong and later together with my maxillo surg and a friend of him, we managed to get a second opinion from a radiologist that saw that there is a problem at the medulla, but because the pain is atypical from the normal neuralgias they cannot for certain say that it originates from there. that is why i am concern if this symptoms can be caused by partial blocked arteries in the neck and that i am a walking time bomb. they did a stress ecg right in the beginning about 7months back and the only thing that was a mystery apparently was that the bottom reading of my blood pressure did not seem to move during the rest to stress and rest phase. and lately i do get this weird pressure on my chest feeling and i see jaw pain in women is common in heart disease.

Reply to amanda
Posted by: amanda | 2012-11-05

just another question. can they see on mri if your arteries in neck are partially obstructed or must you go for the other tests. i do sometimes get out of breath quickly, i do smoke. Sometimes i get this feels like pressure over my chest, left hand tingles and feel cold, with all this have this pressure feel in the neck and ear with jaw pain. but do not no if this is caused by the abovementioned condition.

Reply to amanda