Question
Posted by: Slippers | 2011/09/12

Meds for early pregnancy

Hello Doc

I am pregnant again after 2 miscarriages (9 weeks and 7 weeks). My Gynae did a lot of blood tests after the second mc and found no cause for them, other than in the second pg my progesterone was low and then my HCG didn''t increase enough. With my first pg my HCG increased as it should have and then suddenly the foetus " died"  at around 9 weeks.

My Gynae prescribed 2 meds for me to take from the day I fall pg again: Utrogestan (200mg BD x 30 days) and Meticorten (1 OD x 30 days), both with repeat scripts for 2 months.
I know the Utrogestan is for progesterone (thats what I understood), but I don''t know what the Meticorten is for and when I asked the pharmacist what it was, she said it''s cortisone.
Would you be able to tell me what this med is for? I only see my gynae in 2 weeks for my first scan, so it''s a long time before I can ask him.

Thank you very much

I'm afarid I don't know why your doctor has prescribed Meticorten.

2

I dont think that your dr would prescribe anything for you unless it was safe so do not worry. I am also on prgesterone and my pregnancy is doing very well and the baby is healthy and well. In all my pregnancies I had never gotten this far or even seen an actual baby. But with God everything is possible and the Dr''s are just there to help Him help you.