Question
Posted by: Kaitlyn | 2011-02-03

Meds for Bipolar Disorder

I was on medication for Bipolar Disorder. I stopped the meds a year ago because I found out that I was pregnant. Since having a baby I was retrenched and cannot afford to go back on my medication. Please would you advise how I can go about getting back on my meds?

Well, Bipolar Disorder is considered a chronic condition for which particular provision is made within medical aid schemes. And if you are not on medical aid, you could go to a government / provincial clinic for assessment and prescriptions, and the costs would be much lower and related to your earnings. There are many meds used to treat bipolar disorder, and some, like Lithium, are effective in most people and cheaper than some of the latest meds.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2011-02-03

Go to your local government clinic. I know it''s uncomfortable to wait for hours sometimes, but most clinics seperate mental health patients which means you get helped much quicker. When I was unemployed, I got my meds from the clinic and after the first visit, I never waited longer than 30 minutes to get my repeat prescription. If you don''t know where your local clinic is, just let me know where you stay and I can give you some contact numbers.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza