Question
Posted by: Shelly | 2011-08-23

Meds

If a physciatrist puts a patient on anti depressants, are they supposed to monitor the medication and are they allowed to renew the script despite seeing the patient? what is the protocol?

I would expect them to monitor the effects of the ADs, explain effects and side-effects / interactions. I wonder whether your second question got a little twisted in the typing - of course they can renew a script, if necessary, IF they have seen the patient. But maybe you're asking whether they can renew a script without seeing the patient each time more of the meds are needed. It depends on the circumstances. If the person is responding well to the meds ( on prior monitoring ) and has been assessed as needing the meds for months to come, it is probably aepted practice for them, if they choose, to provide a renewal script for a further supply of the medication without necessarily seeing and re-assessing the person.

2
Posted by: Shelly | 2011-08-23

The meds were not effective, the doc just renewed them.

I just thought that medication for depression should be monitored and was wandering why it hadnt been monitored.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Reply to Shelly