Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-13

I’ ve been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, but I never experience any highs. I just alternate between feeling ok and severe depression with suicidal ideation. How is it possible to be diagnosed as Bipolar when one doesn’ t experience any highs? I’ ve seen several psychiatrists, but their diagnosis didn’ t change when I told them the initial diagnosis was Bipolar. I’ m currently taking 350 mg Sandoz Lamotrigine, 300 mg Wellbutrin XL and 1.5 mg Risperdal. I’ ve tried to reduce the meds. (stopped taking the Wellbutrin), but became depressed and was hospitalised for three weeks. Shouldn’ t an anti-depressant only, be enough to combat the depression?

Thwere are many variations on the Bipolar Theme. And many people who have it visit both poles at some stage in their lives, even if not for some time. The psychiatrists worl according to internationally recognized and accepted criteria when making such diagnoses. I understand your quibble, it always seemed daft to me, too, that one called someone Bipolar when they'd only ever visited one pole. But diagnoses are based on a range of symptoms and features of the condition, not only one. Discuss your meds with your prescribing shrink, as the combination is designed to contol the mood swings and not only to treat an individual period of depression, but to reduce the risk of, frequency of, and severity of, such episodes.