Question
Posted by: Nick | 2009-07-13

Medium Lite

Niki post below got me thinking, so can i use olive oil in baking as a substitute for marg/butter? some cold pressed extra virg olive oils on the market do not state that they can be used in cooking for example, can one use these for cooking?

I use Medium Lite Fat Spread which is quite soft but not as soft as others i have used in the past, i do not see the words butter/marg on the tub, which would it fall into?

Dear Nick
Olive oil has a rather distinctive taste and is usually not used for baking cakes. It is used when making savoury baked foods such as pizza and other Italian or Mediterranean breads like Focaccia. I don't think cakes will taste very pleasant if you use olive oil instead of margarine or butter. As I mentioned to Miki, there are some recipes that I have seen that do use sunflower oil for making scones and certain cakes like chocolate cake which has a strong flavour imparted by cacao. Sunflower oil is much blander than olive oil, so it is better suited to baking, but not for all recipes. Medium Lite Fat Spread is usually polyunsaturated margarine with a higher moisture content which is added to reduce the fat and energy contents. You can experiment with the Lite spreads in baking, but your results may also not be as good as with standard margarine or butter. You can certainly use olive oil for frying.