Question
Posted by: Anon | 2012-02-24

Meditation

There is so much information on the internet about how to meditate that its actually more confusing than anything else.

If any of you have done it please post some tips on how to meditate. What the surroundings should be like, how you start what to think about, or not think about.

Also share your experience of how it has benefited you.

Thanks in advance

I used to teach meditation, and even ran a joint seminar with a visiting guru on this and related issues. The surroundings generalyl dont matter, thougn a quiet and undisturbed swetting is useful ( the middle of the motor way or a busy factory fllor are unsuitable ). The essence is separating yourself from the surroundings, so one doesn't want to pay much attention to them. Much of what you're doing is concentrating ( on a mantra, on brething, whatever ) so as to achieve Not-Thinking, and swatting away intrusive thoughts as though they were flies

3
Posted by: My experience | 2012-02-25

Sorry read mediation for meditation - big difference.

have no xperience of meditation after all who wants to NOT think.

Reply to My experience
Posted by: My experience | 2012-02-25

My mother once mediated between my sister and l when l ate her easter egg aged 10. The surroundings were the kitchen and it was as usual very clean. lt made me think about theft as l did not see it as stealing until it was pointed out to me.l tryed to think about something else when she lectured me. l learnt that you always get forgiven when you say sorry even if you do not mean it.
l hope sharing my experirnce of mediation and the venue and what l was thinking is useful.

l have never been a mediator myself as someone with a big ego and little life experience usually volunteers first and then tells everyone not involved all the gossipy details.

Reply to My experience