Question
Posted by: Andrew | 2009/10/18

Medicine storage

Is it illegal to store medicines in containers that other meds were stored in? E.g. pain killers in a multivitamin bottle?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Andrew

As far as I know it not illegal, but it's definitely not advised. Someone else may think its a vitamin, when it's not!

2
Posted by: Andrew | 2009/10/19

The reason I ask is because I am involved in a Scout Group, and often fullfill the role of First Aider (I am level 2 trained.)

Our policy for camps, is that the young children hand in medication when they arrive, and I as first aider am responsible to make sure they get it at the right times. (The children all take their own medication, I just keep it safe).

We often have the situation where parents put sufficient medication for the duration of the camp, into a smaller container. They then record the info on our forms, and we mark off each time the kid has his/her medicine.

We recently had a situation where a parent had put meds into a different bottle, and refused to disclose the name of the meds on our form, giving only the dosage, and refusing to fill in the condition for which is required.

My immediate concern, is a), should something happen to the child, and we take him to the doctor or hospital, we will be unable to provide info on what meds had been given, and b) Does the kid know what his meds are for.

What would be the correct way of handling this situation?

Reply to Andrew
Posted by: pharmacist | 2009/10/19

Hi Andrew

Reply to pharmacist