Question
Posted by: caz | 2008/05/27

Medicine allergy

I have terrible side effects when I take cold/flu and cough medicines. My heart palpitates badly, my body jerks, have hot and cold sweats and I feel very panicky. Obviously I am sensitive to some chemical - one doctor said it could be ephedrine which is in a lot of flu meds. Also can't take dentist injections - where can I found out what chemical I am allergic to - keeping in mind that I am not on a medical aid so have to try and find the right test first time if possible? Please help

Expert ImagePharmacist

Regarding your cold and flu meds - your allergy is probably to pseudoephedrin and related decongestant drugs - you need to reduce your dose when taking these drugs, or avoid them completely. Cough mixtures may have a related stimulant effect causing your symptoms. I'm not aware of any service available to test for these sort of sensitivity reactions to drugs - Best would be to inform your doctor/pharmacist (not a pharmacy assistant) that you are sensive to these groups of drugs and ask him/her to prescribe something that would not cause these effects. What is your reaction the the injections administered by your dentists? Do you have a product name available?

1
Posted by: caz | 2008/05/29

Pharmacist - thanks for replying - don't have a product name for dentist - reactions are bad heart palpitations, double vision,hot and cold sweats, and a general feeling of anxiety and weakness. I am also very scared of dentists and thought I might be making myself ill, but Doctor says that I should tell them not to give me adrenalin injections....am very nervous as I am going on Sat 31st. Doctor gave me Ativan to take about half an hour before dentist so I hope this relaxes me and that I don't have side effects from that too.

Reply to caz