Question
Posted by: Loretta | 2011/09/04

medications

is it safe to take this if you on medications? I have epilepsy and i am over weight and i was wondering if this is safe to take with the medications i am on for my epilepsy.

Dear Loretta
You have not stated what product you want to take together with your anti-epilepsy medications. If you are contemplating the use of any of the over-the-counter slimming pills then I would advise you to discuss the use of such products or of prescription diet pills with the doctor who is treating your epilepsy. Some of the ingredients in the over-the-counter slimming pills can cause diarrhoea which could interfere with the absorption of your epilepsy medication - something that should be avoided at all costs. The pharmaceutical slimming pills may also cause interactions with the specific anti-epileptic medication you are taking. I would recommend that you ask your doctor if you are allowed to use slimming medications and if so, which type. Because of your epilepsy, I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for an individual slimming diet that is tailored to your needs and also takes your epilepsy medication into account.

1

Dear Loretta