Question
Posted by: jen | 2010/02/18

Medication wearing off?

Hi!
I' m currently taking Lamotrigine 200mg and fluoxetine 20mg for depression and occasional hypomania episodes. I was feeling great towards the end of the year (I' ve been on this combination for around a year) but the last few weeks I' m feeling very demotivated and low. I' ve put on quite a lot of weight, I think due to the meds (?) and this is partly why I feel down.
Could the medication be wearing off? I' ve suffered from depression on and off for around 12 years and this was the 1st time I felt so much better so I' m terrified it' s stopped working!

YOu clearly need to discuss this with your prescribing shrink. Usually one would not expect the meds to stop being efective. It may be that a greater degree of depression is temporarily emerging, and perhaps an adjustment of the fluoxetine doseage might help, or another change in the meds.

1