Question
Posted by: anon | 2010-05-31

medication not working

Hi CS!

I don''t know what to do: my meds seem not to be working. I''m on Epitec 250mg and Fluanxol 50mg. I was only on the Epitec until the beginning of this year.
Last year I felt good on the Epitec but when I came back to work after my leave I suddenly just dropped. My psychiatriust prescribed fluoxetine but this just made me eat like mad - since Ive been on the epitec I have gained A LOT of weight and the fluox was maikinmg it worse. Ive been to see the shrink so many times just not feeling great and every time my meds get changed.

I feel embarassed now to go back to her as I feel like some kind of attention seeker. But really I just feel down a lot. I feel like I dont want to do anything anymore. What should I do? Should I be embarassed to go back to the shrink?. My other concern is financial as my medical aid doesn''t pay for this.

Ive started with CBT but as Im feeling so nummb and ''couldnt care less'' its hard to really make the effort for the CBT.

Sometimes a doc gets persuaded into making too many changes in one's meds, before giving any particular dose or combination enough time to show whether or not it will work well enough.
If the problem is not yet solved, it's not YOUR fault, so there's no reason to feel embarrassed about seeing the shrink again. Or maybe to see a different shrink for a fresh, second opinion.
What's also easy to overlook in such situations, is the basic need for a very clear and specific diagnosis in the first place, and some very clear goals for treatment. If you don't decide where you want to get to, you can't decide how to get there.
You don't say WHY you're taking any meds at all - WHY you're on Epitec ( not often used as a single drug, presumably for some Bipolar Disorder ? ) ; and why Fluanxol was added in place of Fluoxetine, as this is really not an equivalent antidepressant, actually an antiopsychotic with mild antidepressant properties at least useful when required for other reasons, in not being depres4sant.

3
Posted by: anon | 2010-06-01

Thanks CS!

I was put on the medication due to depression, although I suspect I am bipolar 2 but my shrink seems very hesitant to actually tell me a diagnosis like that. Maybe she thinks I will freak out. I have had what appear to be hypomanic phases (if I read about what it''s like it is exactly what I''ve had!) so i suspect that to be the case.

I was initially put on the fluoxetine because my mood had dropped and i felt depressed again. She took me off the Fluoxetine due to me feeling I had uncontrollable cravings for foods. In its place I got Fluanxol - sorry it was 1mg, not 50!!!

Thanks for the advice CS!

Reply to anon
Posted by: Lee | 2010-05-31

Hi I am also taking epitec and i have recently stared with an antidepressant as well, I feel awful, I feel as if I am realy to lose my mind. I am weaning myself of the antidepressant and I already feel slightly better. I think just stick to your epitec because it has a mood stabilising effect and will help for the depression aswell. goodluch

Reply to Lee